8 Second Legal

Call Us Today (509) 209-9867

Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Available After Hours by Appointment

Criminal Law in Spokane, WA

If you have been charged with a crime, call 8 Second Legal to speak with a criminal defense attorney. Turn to us for help with criminal law in Spokane, WA, and surrounding areas. Our criminal law company has extensive experience defending clients accused of felonies, misdemeanors, and major crimes.


When facing felony charges, it is imperative that you have an attorney that knows how to accurately calculate your Offender Score. Mistakes do occur in this calculation, and a miscalculation could translate to a significantly longer sentence if you are convicted.

Do not play games with your future. Call 8 Second Legal. You need an attorney who knows what they are doing. It is much easier to avoid a catastrophic error than it is to try to fix one after it has occurred.


Anyone can be charged with a crime. DUI is one of the most common criminal law charges that wreak havoc on the lives of ordinary people every day. Our office understands the impact that these charges and their consequences have on you and your family, and we can help.

There are two possible consequences to a DUI conviction. First, there are criminal consequences. A DUI carries up to 364 days in jail and up to a $5,000 fine. A DUI can also come with up to five years' probation. Second, there are civil consequences. The Department of Licensing (DOL) will attempt to suspend or revoke your license for anywhere from 90 days to two years. You need an attorney that can help you with both of these issues. Call us now.

More About DUI Charges

The fact that a person has a prescription to use a drug under the laws of this state is not a defense against a charge of DUI. A person can be charged with driving while under the influence (DUI) in any of the following scenarios:

  • The person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 within two hours after driving.
  • The person has a THC concentration of 5.00 within two hours after driving.
  • The person is driving while under the influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug.
  • The person is driving under the combined influence of or is affected by intoxicating liquor, marijuana, and any drug.

DUI Dos & Don'ts

Download our DUI Dos & Don'ts document for more information about what to do when stopped by the police. By following these simple steps, you will avoid problems down the road.

Domestic Violence

A domestic violence charge can be life-altering. It is imperative that you have an experienced attorney helping you. The potential consequences of a domestic violence charge are far too serious to face without sound legal advice. In addition to the criminal charge, the following must be considered in domestic violence defense:

  • CPS Involvement (Especially When Children Are Witness to the Alleged Incident)
  • Gun Rights
  • Effect on Parenting Plans or Child Custody
  • Employment (Current & Future)
  • Navigation of No Contact Orders

Sex Crimes

Sex crimes include rape, child molestation, and sexual misconduct. When our criminal law company hears these terms, it's easy to jump to conclusions. There is nothing more devastating to your life or your reputation than being accused of a sex crime. Things are not always as they seem. Sometimes, allegations are entirely false, and the conduct never happened. At other times, the conduct occurred, but there is a dispute as to intent and/or consent. Other cases involve statutory issues, usually concerning age, that can turn a mutually consensual act into a crime.

We're not talking about a rapist jumping out of the bushes and attacking people. We're also not talking about predators who prey on children or the weak. We're talking about ordinary people going about their lives in a normal fashion, only to have an allegation crash into their life like a semi-truck. It happens! The law says you are innocent until proven guilty, but our office does not approach these cases with that philosophy. Our goal is to prove your innocence and restore your good name. We do this by getting to the bottom of the evidence, sometimes on a molecular level.

When it comes to false allegations, there is always a "why?" We consider it our burden to find the answer to that question. Why would someone accuse you of this? What is the motivation? We will work relentlessly to discover the reason and expose it. Sometimes, we have to go layers and layers deep to get there, but we are equipped for the task. Our hope is that you will never be put in the position to need us; but if you need us, we are here, and we can help.

Restoration of Gun Rights

Want to hunt again? Call us for a free consultation for our criminal law services to determine if you are eligible to have your firearms rights restored in Washington. If you are eligible, we can have you hunting on private or public land again in no time. The conviction that resulted in the loss of the right to possess a firearm does not have to have been made in Washington, but in order to have your gun rights restored in Washington, you must live in Washington and bring your petition in the county in which you reside. In order to qualify you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have no criminal charges pending in any court.
  • Have never been convicted of a Class A felony.
  • Have never been convicted of any felony carrying a maximum sentence of at least 20 years.
  • Have never been convicted of any sex offense which prohibits ownership of firearms.
  • Be in the community for at least 5 consecutive years (for felonies) or 3 consecutive years (for non-felonies) without being convicted of any crime.
  • Have no prior felony convictions that prohibit the possession of a firearm counted as part of the Offender Score.
  • Not be subject to any restraining order that prohibits possession of a firearm.
  • Never have been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment.

Helping With Your Gun Rights With Our Criminal Law Service in Spokane, WA

Vacate a Criminal Conviction

Improve your employment prospects by vacating a criminal conviction. A person whose conviction has been vacated may state, for all purposes, that he or she has not been convicted of that crime. Call our law firm to see if you are eligible to have your criminal conviction vacated. If you are eligible, you can leave the work to us while you get on with your life.

Vacating Misdemeanors

RCW 9.96.060 authorizes a sentencing court to vacate a conviction for a misdemeanor or a gross misdemeanor if:

For any offense other than those described in RCW 9.96.060(2)(e), the offender has completed all the terms of his or her sentence, including financial obligations, and more than three years have passed since completion;

1. The offender has no criminal charges pending or has not been convicted of a new crime in any state or federal court;
2. The offender does not have another conviction vacated; or
3. The offender has not been restrained within the last five years by a domestic violence protection order, a no-contact order, an anti-harassment order, or a civil restraining order.

In addition, the offense must not be:

1. A violent offense, as defined in RCW 9.94A.030, or an attempt to commit a violent offense;
2. A violation of RCW 46.61.502 (driving under the influence), RCW 46.61.504 (physical control of a vehicle while under the influence), RCW 9.91.020 (operating a railroad, steamboat, or vehicle while intoxicated), or the offense is considered a "prior offense" under RCW 46.61.5055 and there is a subsequent alcohol or drug violation within ten years of the date of arrest for the prior offense;
3. A violation, including attempt, of chapter 9.68 RCW (obscenity and pornography), chapter 9.68A RCW (sexual exploitation of children), or chapter 9A.44 RCW (sex offenses); or
4. An offense involving domestic violence in some circumstances and as described in RCW 9.96.060(2)(e).

Vacating Felonies

RCW 9.94A.640 provides for vacating some felony convictions. An offender who has been discharged may request, by motion, that the sentencing court vacate the conviction. But the record of conviction may not be cleared if:

1. Criminal charges are pending against the offender in any state or federal court;
2. The conviction was for a violent offense as defined in RCW 9.94A.030 or a crime against persons as defined in RCW 43.43.830;
3. The offender has been convicted of a new crime in any state or federal court since discharge;
4. The offense is a class B felony and less than ten years have passed since discharge;
5. The offense is a class C felony described in RCW 46.61.502(6) or RCW 46.61.504(6);
6. The offense is any class C felony, other than those described in RCW 46.61.502(6) or RCW 46.61.504(6), and less than five years have passed since discharge.

SEAL: To prevent access to a record.

Under General Rule 15, sealing a court record may be ordered when a conviction has been vacated or when the court finds that compelling privacy or safety concerns outweigh the public interest in access to the record. Current law does not allow for destroying the court record of a criminal action against an adult that results in a conviction or some adverse findings.